Treating An Allergic Reactions To A Bee Sting

Posted on

Often people with dangerous allergies to bee stings are the only ones we think of when describing this allergy but in truth, we are all allergic to bee stings. That swelling and itching of the sting is a mild allergic reaction, however, there are nearly 2 million people in this country that are dangerously allergic to bee stings. Treating a bee sting is easy in most cases, but if you are one of the .7 percent with a dangerous allergy, the treatment is much different and aggressive

Why Bees Sting

Bees have been around some 25 million years according to the oldest fossil records that exist currently. That is a long time for one species to survive. They know how to defend themselves and their hives pretty well and while they don't seek us out to sting. When you get stung, it is a clear sign to back off and leave them alone. If you get stung by a bee it is most likely because you were too close to a hive or they felt threatened in some way. Swatting at a bee is never a good idea, yet we all do it. If you encounter a hive, backing away from it slowly and calmly is the best option. If the bees do attack, run to shelter immediately.

Treatment For Bee Stings

If you do get stung by a bee, you can treat it pretty easily. The first thing to do is to remove the stingers left behind. Do not use tweezers on them, instead, use your fingernail to scrape them out of the skin. Pinching the stinger to remove it can force more venom out of the stinger and into the wound. Once the stinger is removed, you can apply an ice pack to the sting to reduce the swelling and give the victim an antihistamine and ibuprofen for pain.Most stings will itch and be painful for a day or so.

Treating Severe Allergies

When a person has a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting, the treatment is different in some ways. You still need to get that stinger out, but they will need medication to slow or stop the reaction and the onset of anaphylaxis (the severe allergic reaction). Signs that a person might be severely allergic include major swelling beyond the sting site, shortness of breath, itching in areas beyond the sting, and hives. If you or someone you know has a reaction like this, seek medical attention immediately. People who know they are severely allergic often carry an epi-pen so they can treat anaphylaxis right away.

Getting Tested For A Bee Sting Allergy

Most people do not need to get tested for bee sting allergies but if you have been stung and had a severe reaction, your doctor may suggest you get tested. Because reactions can be severe or even life-threatening, it is better to know you have an allergy and the means to treat it, then to do nothing. The test will simply let you know if you are allergic or not and your doctor can then determine the severity and what treatments you may need to keep on hand.  Visit a site like for more help.